If you own a website and especially for business purposes, you would want it to delight both new and existing customers at any given time. Although many factors affect this, page speed is becoming a serious page performance factor year in year out. In 2021, page speed is expected to be among the top factors that determine how a site performs among others in the same niche.
If your goal for your website is to drive more traffic, phone calls, sales, or subscriber, then fast sage speed is a must. In this guide, you will learn what page speed is, how to test it, why it matters, how it relates to SEO and the top ways in which it can be increased.
What Exactly Is Page Speed?
In simple terms, Page speed is defined as the time it takes to display all the information on a given page. Developers prefer to call page speed as page load time, which simply means the time taken by a browser, like Chrome,Safari, or Edge, to receive the first lot of information from the server.
How To Check Page Speed?
Here, we will focus on the readily available service from Google; Google analytics and Google PageSpeed Insights. These free tools not only give you a breakdown of how your page performs in terms of page speed but also gives suggestions on the areas that need improvement.
To use Google Analytics, you need to sign in to your account on this platform. Hover directly to your View, open Reports, then pick Behavior and finally Site Speed. You will get three report options here, but you should open the Page Timing Report to get a report with detailed information on how your pages perform in terms of speed. The report also describes the time each page element (video, image, or button) takes to respond every time a user interacts with them.
With Google’s PageSpeed Insights, you can check your page speed instantly. It is a free tool which provides you with an overall score for desktop page speed and mobile page speed.
Nowadays, the majority of the web traffic comes from a handheld device like smartphones, tablets, etc, therefore google focuses more on mobile page speed. Along with the page speed score, you will also get to access other additional technical points.
If you do not have a technical background, then just focus on the First Meaningful Paint and its score as it defines how long it takes for your page to load enough content for your users to interact with. Higher the score the better it is.
Why Is It Important To Improve Page Speed?
With the rapid advancement in technology, and 5G rolling out all over the world, a customer expects their pages to load instantly with a click. To users, this reduces the frustration that comes with slow loading sites. This simply means that a faster loading page is likely to impress a visitor more than a slow loading page. For website owners, improving the page ensures that your page is available in relevant searches as one of the top results. The other advantage is that people will spend more time on your page if it loads faster and this has an implication of increasing your conversions.
How Page Speed And SEO Are Related?
Since Google’s Algorithm Speed Update, page speed is today one of the signals that affect how the page ranks on searches. In case your pages have low speed, this may give your visitors and bots an unpleasant result/experience and affect your organic search ranking and traffic negatively.
What Can Be Done To Improve Page Speed?
• Optimize your code removing unnecessary characters, spaces, code comments and formatting to boost your page speed. Use CSS Nano to optimize your site codes.
• Optimize Your Images – Ensure that the images on your pages are adequately compressed and in the right format. An excellent tool to use here is CSS sprites, which allows you to combine all your images into one big image that loads faster but displays only the requested section.
• Make Good Use Of Browser Caching – Caching is the process of storing information on a visitor’s browser such that the browser does not reload the whole page on subsequent visits. With a tool like YSlow, you can set the period you want your information to be cached on browsers.
• Use A Content Distribution Network (CDN) – This stores copies of your site’s information in various geographical centres so that the content is readily available to users anytime, anywhere.
• Optimize Your Server Response Time – Here, be on the lookout for issues such as inadequate memory, slow routing and slow database queries and act on them immediately. This will improve your server response time and thus the page speed.
Today, no web user will tolerate a slow page when there are others they can access within seconds. Now that you know how page speed affects your SEO ranking, you should leverage the above methods to boost your page speed and make sure you are not losing customers to your visitors. The good thing with page speed optimization is that there are tools to increase your pages’ speed hassle-free. Do not forget to check your page speed once in a while, as it is bound to change over time!
If you are struggling with your websites page speed, and despite all efforts, the page speed is not improving, then you are at the right place. At Graphik Pulse, we have a team of experienced digital marketers and web developers who can help you to improve your website page speed score.
Get in touch with us for more information.